Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Knowledge Management and the 8 United Nations Millennium Development goals

I have two sets of websites and blogs that I normally keep
seperate. My professional knowledge management development
and practices and my spiritual development and practices.

Sometimes I find it difficult to know which blogs to choose.
Maybe I should just combine them.

This is one, today.

Like an increasing number of people in this world, especially
those working with global technologies, I can understand and
experience, in my daily work, a strong sense of Oneness,
interconnectedness and interdependence with all.

I fully respect all religions, spiritual traditions, beliefs and
non-beliefs, and I think Oneness is common to them all.

In fact, if you work with global connectivity, communications,
collaborative workgroups, learning, creating, sharing
and applying knowledge globally, you cannot help but think
this way, naturally.

Recently, in working with UN agencies and their need for better
global knowledge management, I became much more aware of
the 8 United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).

From both a global knowledge management perspective, and
from a spiritual perspective, I realised that if we all had a
better perspective and understanding of Oneness on this
planet, it would have a major, and immediate, effect on
achieving these MDGs.

In this new way of thinking there would be an immediate
impact on global ethics.

This would immediately impact world terrorism, general
violence and all forms of crime.

I believe that there would be an immediate impact on
extreme poverty and hunger, primary education, gender
equality, child mortality, maternal health, HIV/AIDS,
and other diseases, environmental sustainability and
global development partnerships.

So I decided I would express these feelings to Ban Ki-moon,
Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Knowledge management has greatly accelerated my sense
and experience of Oneness over the years, so I blog it here.

I have met a few km bloggers that have shared this view with
me also. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anybody else
who shares these views.

If you are interested in my letter to the UN on Oneness, you
can read it on the home page of:

www.in-love-with-wisdom.com

Ron Young

More at:

www.knowledge-management-online.com

3 comments:

  1. I have a strong interest in how knowledge management help countries achieve thei MDG goals. In theory, it should accelerate the process. Is it practical? will there be enough money to implement such a system?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for your feedback.
    It is very much appreciated.

    I also have a very strong interest in the role km can and should play to help countries achieve their MDGs.

    I certainly think it is practical, and I don't think that money is the real problem.

    I believe that the real problem is that some development agencies are simply not aware of how km can help, some are conducting km themselves, but I see very little evidence of km being conducted globally, across dev agencies, and that is where I feel the greatest opportunity to help exists.

    I would be glad to discuss this further and be of whatever help I can.

    Thanks
    Ron Young

    ReplyDelete
  3. Under James Wolfensohn, the World Bank was tranformed from a money bank to a Knowledge Bank.

    All the reviews that I have read about the transition of the World Bank to Knowledge Bank state that it was successfull.

    Your strategy is comparable to that of the KM program at the World Bank. Yes, it is workable.

    I would rather place the burden of developing and maintaining a KM program with the developing countries instead of the developing agencies.

    I guess it depends on how we define knowledge in the context of the Millenium Development Goal.

    I will develop my thought further in a subsequent post.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete